Illinois enacted the Invest In Kids Scholarship Tax Credit Program in 2017. This program offers a 75 percent income tax credit to individuals and businesses that contribute to qualified Scholarship Granting Organizations (SGOs). The SGOs then provide scholarships for students whose families meet the income requirements to attend qualified, non-public schools in Illinois.
Update 2/21/2018: The Empower Illinois scholarship application will be available on Tuesday, February 27 at 7 p.m. The new application will be available at empowerillinois.org and will be a two-step process.
Update 1/18/2018 Student Applications: Empower Illinois scholarship applications will be made available to students and families at noon on Wednesday, January 31, 2018. The application will be posted to the Students page and all applications must be submitted online. Find more information at empowerillinois.org/students.
Update 12/26/2017 School Registration: Here is the gmail link for schools to apply with Empower Illinois. It can also be found on EmpowerIllinois.org: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSccMmD4YPO-wghIgbNDF1C_dFk_MB0xGiZwKiFRFyEE8X0jmQ/formResponse
On page two of the application it asks for “Network Affiliation” Please enter “Northern IL District- Lutheran Church Missouri Synod”
The website, empowerillinois.org, is now live. Visit it for more information as a donor, school, or student.
PowerPoint presentation for congregation members (PDF) Rev. 12/26/2017
How To video for donors from Empower Illinois
Below is compiled information on the latest updates regarding the State Tax Credit program for private school donations:
- The Northern Illinois District (NID) is encouraging qualifying Lutheran schools to participate in the Illinois State Tax Credit program by utilizing the administrative services of Empower Illinois (EI), a Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO)
- State recognition is required for qualifying schools. December 18 is the deadline for completion of iWAS data, critical to maintaining your eligible status. If you are not state recognized, you may qualify after successful completion of a State visit.
- Empower Illinois (EI) was created by the organization which helped successful passing of the Legislation. Learn more about One Chance Illinois at www.onechanceillinois.org.
- The Central Illinois District (CID) and Southern Illinois District (SID) are also directing schools to EI.
- The NID, CID and SID staff have nominated Rev. Dr. Dan Gard, President of Concordia University Chicago (CUC), to the EI Board. His nomination is still being considered by EI.
- Neil Ruddock is the contact person for EI. He is very helpful. His email is email@example.com and his cell is 1-850-545-0542. Call him with questions.
- For more information on the Illinois Department of Revenue rules visit www.revenue. state.il.us/LegalInformation/ Regs/Part1000/index.htm